Transcript of Chris Busby talk on Fallujah, 10 August 2010

A place for invalid arguments, faulty statements and general waste.

Transcript of Chris Busby talk on Fallujah, 10 August 2010

Postby Lantzelot » 02 Nov 2011, 00:55

This is a transcript from the Youtube video (here) of Chris Busby's presentation during the BSRRW meeting at Finlandshuset in Stockholm, 10 August 2010. The film covers the second part of the talk, and the questions from the audience, which deals with his first article on Fallujah (Chris Busby, Malek Hamdan and Entesar Ariabi, Cancer, Infant Mortality and Birth Sex-Ratio in Fallujah, Iraq 2005–2009, Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health 2010, 7, 2828-2837).

My report from the meeting was posted here (in Swedish) and here (in English).
As seen from the transcript, and the video, my report, written down from memory, does not correspond 100% with what was actually said.
The numbers within brackets indicate the time in the video.
Any mistakes in the transcript are entirely mine.
/Mattias Lantz

-------------------------------------------------------------------
(0:00)
Chris Busby (CB): ...in a study that we published about three weeks ago now. I was approached by, because of my interest in uranium, and I have done a lot of research on uranium. And what I have established is that uranium is very very much more dangerous than anybody ever thought, particularly inhaled uranium, because that gets straight into the body very quickly.

Because of my interest in uranium I was approaced by a lady called Malak Hamdan, who is an Iraqi living in London, who wanted to try and see if the reports of congenital malformation and cancer in this town of Fallujah were correct. In the last year a number of doctors from Fallujah wrote a letter saying that they thought that there was a huge increase of congenital malformation and also, they thought, in cancer, in this town. And they thought this was because of the materials that were used by the American...the US-led forces in 2004.

After the Iraq war, in 2003, Fallujah became a sort of stronghold for...freedom fighters, whichever side you're on. And the United States couldn't make much of an impact on Fallujah, so they attacked it in early 2004. But they didn't succeed, they were beaten off. And this became a very big event for the Arab world, who saw for the first time that the American technological war machine had been defeated by ordinary people on the ground.

And the reason they defeated them were of course that they were fighting from house to house. And it is very difficult for a technological war machine to deal with people who are sniping away and look from behind dustbins and then running and fighting from somewhere else, as the British found out in Northern Ireland.

(2:05)
So having lost that particular battle they decided after, just after the reelection of president Bush, to go in and flatten the town. Which they did, they used more munitions on that town, according to the British who observed it, the British were not involved in this, than had ever been used in a concentrated way in any recent war. They absolutely dropped everything on that, they used white phosphorous and they used all sorts of weapons that nobody had ever seen before. The deaths were horrific, the doctors reported injuries, I've got photographs which I haven't got time to show you, scary photographs of the kind of thing that was done.

And some of these weapons were very peculiar, some of these illnesses were very peculiar, for example people were found who were burned, completely burned, and yet their clothing was intact. So there's some weapon that appears to burn the people, to burn the body, but leaves the clothing. And a lot of other ghastly things that we saw, in pictures and reports and so on.

But unfortunately, in the real world, in the world of science, anecdotal evidence is not sufficient, and of course the Iraqi and the Americans, when asked about this, they said: We have no scientific evidence that there is any problem, that there is any increase in congenital malformation, that there are any increases in cancer.

So, Malek asked me if there was anything that we could do. And I said: Well, yes we can do the kind of study that we did in Northern Ireland, in Cardiff, on the map that you didn't see because somehow it got swallowed into the machinery here. We can go and knock on doors, and what you do is a very simple epidemiological study.

(3:50)
And it used to be used in the tropics long time ago before there were any official data, if you were a missionary, or if you were a doctor working in Africa, you know there is no official figures there, so if you want to know what the rate of some illnesses is you have to ask the people. So you need to have a data base, you need to have a group of people that you study, which is a sample from the population. And the sample has to be big enough for you to find what you're looking for, and then you just write down the ages of the people and their sexes, and you ask them how many people who've got whatever it is you're looking for, and then you have a rate, you know, so you have the rate of your hearts here per thousand population, or rate of cancer per thousand population, or whatever. So it's not particularly difficult to do this, although it is a bit tedious.

So I said to her that I will device a questionnaire and you get in touch with your people in Fallujah, and we will administer the questionnaire, but keep it secret, because nobody is gonna want this to come out. The Americans in particular closed off the city after the attack, they wouldn't let journalists in, they wouldn't let doctors in, they wouldn't let the International Atomic Energy Agency in to see if there was any radioactivity there. And then they slowly bulldozed the debris into the river, the Euphrates river.

(5:07)
So nobody had been in there. Now, if you went into the...the BBC sent some journalists in there, and people were threatened, people were killed and people were kidnapped and they were afraid to be shot at, so this is quite a heavy place.

But we managed to get 11 people in there who were looking at the rates and they...
and these were...of we seem to have jumped down now...

(5:42)
Well, in the end we managed to get to 700 houses and we managed to get a data base of 4800 people across the whole age span. This is a breakdown of the ages of the people who we had reporting. And these are the number of cancers that were reported, and the number of infant deaths that were reported. But if we go back up to the abstract then I can just tell you what the results are, this is the abstract.

What we found, by comparing the population rates to the rates of Egypt and Jordan, cause we thought that that was a fairly reasonable comparison, and not to compare them to Iraq because in any case there is no data for Iraq. But even if we had, we would get problems, because the other parts of Iraq are probably contaminated also.

So we looked at Egypt and Jordan, and what we found was that for cancer we had about four times...this was in the five years prior to the survey which was done at the beginning of this year, and the five years back then to 2006 in terms of cancer, or 2005, we found that there was 62 cases of all cancers, which gave a relative risk of four times the Egypt average. But that included 16 cases of childhood cancer, which gave a relative risk of 12.6. This is 12.6 time the childhood cancer, which is a very large risk of childhood cancer.

(7:12)
And then we found...these are highly statistically significant, you can see that the p-values, that the probability that this could occur by chance is very low, one in several million. And for the lymphomas and the leukemias we had 38 times, 38 times the expected! This is unbelievably large numbers, extraordinary. And we also found increases in breast cancer, and in lymphomas and brain tumours. But not increases, interestingly enough, in the normally expected high rate cancers like lung cancer.

Then we also looked at the birth rates, we looked at the mean infant mortality rate over that period. We found that there was a high level of infant mortality, about four or five times of the amount that we would expect on the basis of Egypt. Basically that supports what the doctors were reporting in their letter.

And then also, because I am interested in this because of Hiroshima. After Hiroshima the geneticists looked at the sex ratio. Sex-ratio is the ratio of boys to girls who are born in any population. In normal human populations this is very very standard. The number of boys born to girls are 1050 boys born to 1000 girls. It is absolutely standard, and very rarely diverse at all, that number, unless there is some problem. Now there was in Hiroshima, of course there was radiation, and what they found was a reduction in the number of boys. And this is exactly what we found here.

(8:52)
And the reason for that is that if you fire a shotgun at the DNA, and you just shoot bits of it away, then of course, you know, people will die, because they need the DNA. But if you are a boy you have only one X chromosome, if you are a girl you have two X chromosomes. So if you have a sort of general genetic stress on the DNA you will kill the boys preferentially because they can not afford to loose the X chromosome if its lost, then they've had it, you see. Whereas the girls can do without an X chromosome because they have one extra in supply. And that's why you get a sex ratio effect, and this is what we found. We found 860 boys to 1000 girls, which is a remarkable reduction in sex ratio, much worse than what was found after Hiroshima.

So what can we conclude from all of this? Well, first of all, we can certainly conclude that something very serious happened in the way of genetic mutation in 2004, because it was those children who suffered the largest levels of infant mortality and sex ratio changes.

(10:03)
So whatever it was that happened to this population it was in 2004 that it happened. So that identifies the war and the attacks by the Americans in 2004 as the cause. Now that of course does not identify the agent, we don't know what the agent is, but we would probably find it, because we have samples from the area which are being analyzed at the moment. We had some small amount of money from Al Jazeera and a few arab people who gave us money. These epidemiological studies are very cheap to do, they just involve our time, which we give for nothing.

We had to buy the people out there generators because they do not have electricity all of the time, and we had to buy them a photocopier as well, so that they could photo-copy the questionnaire. But apart from that, the whole thing cost about 2000 dollars just to employ a few people to go around and knock on doors.

And also there were some exiting moments, because some of our people were attacked and beaten up. So they went and knocked on the doors and people thought they were from the Iraqi secret service so they punched them on the nose, and threw them down the well and these sort of things. For some time we had to start sending people around to vouch for them, so we get a person from the local community to say: You know this guy a mate of mine, so it's allright.

So we looked into this stuff and shortly after we finished the Iraqi television transmitted a programme on the news saying that a survey was being held in Fallujah, and the people who administered the survey were terrorists, and anybody who was found answering this or delivering the questionnaire would be arrested. So it was pretty exiting, but of course not for me because I was a long way away. Just for the people who headed out there.

(11:57)
So what we're doing next is we're going to look at the health effects, we're going to look at concentrations of metal ions and uranium in the hair of the parents of children with congenital malformations, and compare them to the hair of parents whose children are ok. So that's like a group case control study to look at concentrations of uranium.

But that's gonna cost a a lot of money, because each one of those measurements we have to have done at an industrial laboratory, and that cost about 4-500 pounds per sample. So at the moment we're trying to get money to do that. We set up a foundation, or rather, Malak set up a foundation in London to take the money.

So that's the story of Fallujah, it's all over the internet, and I've been interviewed by Russia Today and you know, BBC and Al Jazeera and Italian television and so on, so I am quite a star. So there we are, that's it.

(13:00)
Roland von Malmborg (RvM): Alltså, pojkar brukar vara 1100 mot 1000 flickor och nu är de nere i 850.
Ingrid Eckerman (IE): När dom föds, eller, när dom föds. Sen dör dom undan, och blir färre än...
RvM: Det också, för alltså pojkar är känsligare för radioaktiv...genetiskt elände. Det här är ett tecken på en allvarlig genetisk påverkan.
IE: So this means that you had 860 that were born for 1000 girls. That's 1010 teenagers.
CB: Well, show the table 1.
IE: Is the...there are already some...boys has already died.
CB: Yes, that's right. They die in the womb.
IE: So there were more than 1010 born.
CB: No no no no, this is the number born.
RvM: They die early.
CB: The actual numbers of born were much less than that. So in Fallujah, in our group, not in the whole of Fallujah but in our sample, yeah? The number of children who was born, in this 0-4 age group, in that period, in that 5 years, was 234 boys and 272 girls, so the sex ratio is just...
IE: Yeah, what I mean if you look at the group 15-19. This is the living.
CB: Yes, of course.
IE: So some of them have already died.
RvM: No the age group 15-19 were not exposed as much.
IE: Yeah, I understand. But I mean the figures born would have been still more. Because some girls, some boys have already died.
CB: There was a sharp reduction in the birth rates after that, yes. A lot of miscarriages. We did do miscarriages but we have not put that into the paper.
RvM: And probably if you look at these...234 males after 5 years, more of them will have died.
CB: Yes, almost certainly.
(15:00)
IE: But it would be interesting if you have the figures for born children. Do you have that?
CB: Yes these are the figures.
IE: Yes, you have the 5-9, 10-14 and 15-19. Do you have the figures for the born children?
CB: They are the same. Yes, that's right.
IE: Ok, ok, so it is the birth rates.
Mattias Lantz (ML): So what happened in the year 2000 then, since its seem to be...?
CB: Oh yes in the year 2000 the sex ratio was exactly right. 2000...
ML: No, it's not, because you had...
CB: You can't do that because these people, this is much later on. You could argue from that that in the 60-64 age group the sex ratio was very peculiar in the year...1970.
IE: But this is not the born, this is the living.
CB: Because people die, that's the point, you see.
ML: This is, you found 234 boys in the age group 0-4, so there could have been more born than died at the year 1?
CB: That's right.
IE: These are the living people, that's what I mean. But if you have the figures, I do not know if you collected them. For the interviews you could have collected also the children who have died after 15 or 19.
CB: We did, we did, we thought of that.
IE: But they are not in there.
CB: No, they are no in there.
IE: So to see the born children would be more interesting than to see the living.
CB: Eeh...
RvM: The first line are the newborn.
IE: No they are the children that are living between 0 and 4 years of age. They are still living.
CB: I think that it would be difficult to do that, because...
IE: If you ask them also for the dead children.
CB: Yes, I agree. We did ask for the children who died between 0 and 1. We have other figures for cancer, but we do not have children who died between 1 and 4, we don't have them.
IE: And not between 15 and 19?
CB: No we do not have this.
IE: That is a pity. The next time you count the born children.
CB: The problem is this, with questionnaire surveys, and I've found this, is if you ask too many questions, people get bored, you know... They don't...
IE: They want to talk about their dead children.
CB: Well, maybe so. Maybe you're right, maybe we should do that. But, that's what we did. So that's all we can report.
--------------------
The video continues with questions regarding Studsvik and other things, including my questions related to Busby's claim of an increase in breast cancer in Sweden after the Chernobyl accident. This part will be added whenever time permits.
Lantzelot

Return to The Deep Repository